Do you remember a while ago I was having a bit of a rant about mince meat and my dislike. Which leads to one problem that I don’t eat Beef Burgers. In my house its all about the chicken breast burger. 100% chicken topped with cheese, in a beautiful brioche bun filled with lettuce, tomato, bacon and pineapple. Served with a side of homemade chips.
I will be posting the brioche bun recipe later in the week. So for now I will cost this meal based on shop bought buns.
This is a more expensive meal than the usual options i post but it feels like a delightful naughty treat.
1 Chicken Breast – £0.98
2 Tbsp Seasoning – £0.14
1 Brioche Bun (or bun of your choice) – £0.22
2 Rashers Smoked Back Bacon – £0.29
1 Pineapple Ring – £0.16
30g Cheddar Cheese – £0.13
1/4 cup Lettuce – £0.05
1/2 Tomato – £0.05
1 Potato – £0.11
Total Cost – £2.13
The beautiful thing about this meal is you can customise it any which way you want. Need to save a few pence, omit the bacon and pineapple which will bring the cost below £2.
1) Cut the chips into even sized pieces. I cooked mine in my ajrfryer for 25 minutes with a drizzle of oil.
2) Season Chicken, this can be done with herbs and spices or chicken marinades. Its your choice, of course you can always opt for a plain chicken breast. For the purpose of this i used cajun chicken spice.
2) Place a heavy pan on the hob and heat to a high heat. After 2-3 minutes reduce the heat to medium and add a splash of oil making sure the oil coats the pan. Place the chicken breast into the pan and cook on a medium heat for 5-6 minutes.
3) When your timer has gone off turn the chicken and cook the other side for a further 5-6 minutes. At this point i add my cheese to the cooked surface. Allowing it to melt whilst the other side is cooking.
4) When cooked ensure chicken is cooked thoroughly either with a meat thermometer or by cutting the chicken and checking the meat is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
5) If cooking in a cast iron skillet or similar place under the grill for a couple of minutes to finish melting the cheese.
6) Slice your Brioche Bun and assemble your toppings. I chose lettuce, tomato, smoked back bacon and pineapple. Place your cooked chicken breast on top and apply any sauces you may desire (BBQ is particularly tasty in this combo)
Don’t forget to drop in later in the week when I will reveal how to make the delicious brioche buns
I hope you enjoy reading this blog. If so please give me a like on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram and don’t forget to sign up on our contact us page for updates to the blog.