Recipe- Gingerbread Biscuits
Servings – 12 – Total Cost – £0.74*
Cost Per Serving – £0.06*
175g Plain Flour – £0.06
1/4 Tsp Bicarbonate of Soda – £0.01
1 Tsp Ground Ginger -£0.05
1 Tsp Cinnamon – £0.05
57g Unsalted Butter – £0.13
87g Soft Light Brown Sugar – £0.28
2 Tbsp Honey – £0.04
1/2 Egg (crack egg, weigh and divide by 2) keep remaining egg as you may need more to bind the mixture – £0.12
1) Sift Flour, cinnamon, bicarbonate of soda and ginger into a bowl. Mix well.
2) Cube butter and add to flour mix. Rub flour and butter together until it resembles breadcrumbs.
3) Stir in the soft brown sugar and begin to add the egg, mixing until the dough begins to form.
4) Tip dough out onto a lightly floured worksurface or non stick mat. Kneed the dough until smooth and roll out until it is around 1/2 cm deep. Cut out the shapes using your cutters and place on a non stick baking sheet.
5) Roll remaining dough and repeat the process until all the dough is used
6) Place in a preheated oven 180 C for 8-10 minutes. The biscuits will catch easily so keep an eye on them. They are ready when they are golden brown but still squidgy in the middle.
7) Once cooked, remove from oven and leave to cool in place for 5 minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Decorate as desired.
*Prices are based on current shop prices as of Oct 2021. Prices based on cheapest available at Tesco or Asda. Produce may be found cheaper elsewhere but may not be available in all locations so large supermarket chains have been used for costing purposes. Prices may differ depending on location.